Sunday, September 6, 2015

Week 1

I teach 11th grade English and Drama at Animo College Prep Academy in Watts. My first year teaching has been a humbling experience--it is more challenging than I would have ever expected. Despite the long hours and often stressful environment, I love my job, my colleagues, and my students. I am grateful that I was given the opportunity to introduce theater to the students at ACPA. I have 66 drama students all taking their first ever drama class. In just a few weeks, it has already proven to be a rewarding experience for all involved.



Other facts about me: I live with my husband and 4 pets (2 dogs, 2 cats) in Downey. I love to garden and enjoy cooking all the tasty things that I grow.

After high school, I was a hairstylist for 2 years. I was not fulfilled with my career, so I went to West LA CC, then transferred to UCLA and earned my BA. Next I earned my MA and teaching credential at CSULA. I am now enjoying my experience as an EdD student at CSULA.

I have grown a lot in the short amount of time I have been in the EdD program and have found that my readings and discussions with my cohort have deeply influenced my philosophies on education, as well as the person I am and the person I someday hope to be.

6 comments:

  1. I know so much more about you! I am happy you decided to be in the program,where would i be without you...definitely not writing on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree ... our class discussions are by far the most influential part of this program in terms of my growth and educational philosophies. Well put!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For being so early in your career you have so much knowledge and experience, I look forward to seeing the "seasoned" Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the calm peaceful colors in your blog -- like parchment or stone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, I thought you just had only one pet. You have more than one...And no wonder your hair always looks perfect! I love that you shared your background with us.

    ReplyDelete